Sunday, March 25, 2012

WTF is Veg*n???

Have you heard of vegetarian, and even vegan, but are wondering what veg*n is??

It's simple: the * is like a wild card. In other words, the word means VEG__N, where the blanks can represent "etari" or "a"... In other words, the word veg*n can stand for vegetarian or vegan. The word "veg*n" is generally used as a collective term appealing to or referring to both vegetarians and vegans.

I am personally a vegetarian and have been so for over 20 years, but I try to incorporate more vegan meals into my diet. Because of this and because of my target group(s), I prefer to use the term veg*n. When I post recipes, they are ALWAYS vegetarian; some are vegan. If they are not vegan they are easy to veganize, and this is usually indicated in my recipes.

I'm sure everyone has an idea of what a vegetarian is, but for those who don't know what a vegan is: a vegan does not consume any animal products whatsoever, including dairy and even honey. Vegans usually do not use any animal-derived products, either, including leather and suede, products tested on animals, products using animal-derived ingredients, etc.

No comments: