Thursday, February 21, 2013

Erin Baker's Breakfast Cookie: Chocolate Chunk

During the work week I am usually in a rush to get to work on time, so after showering and getting myself ready, feeding and walking my two dogs, and taking care of our chinchilla, I usually only have time for a quick breakfast. I often eat a bowl of cereal with almond milk or, occasionally, a bowl of oatmeal or cream of wheat.

While browsing online for cool new vegan foods (am I the only one who does this?) I found Erin Baker's Chocolate Chunk Breakfast Cookies, which are vegan. There are lots of varieties of these breakfast cookies, but not all are vegan-friendly. The reviews were mostly favorable (4.1 stars out of 5 on Amazon with 29 reviews total), so I decided to buy a pack, which consists of 12 individually wrapped 3 ounce cookies. I paid $16.56 USD for the dozen, which equates to $1.38 per cookie (or $0.46 per ounce). This product qualified for free shipping through Amazon.com with my total purchase of over $25.

I was excited to try them when they arrived, so I didn't wait until breakfast the next morning. With the first bite I thought they were just okay, nothing too special, but they actually got tastier as I ate more, which I found odd but delightful. The first bite was a little bland and dry yet soft, but as I took a few more bites it seemed to get sweeter as my tastebuds adjusted to this product. They are sweet and tender like a soft-batch cookie and a little chewy, not hard or crispy at all. You can see the oats and other whole grains in the cookie. They taste great. I've eaten two of them (one last night and one this morning for breakfast) and I'm not at all disappointed.

I highly recommend this product. It's easy to eat (unwrap the cookie and eat it), versatile (can be heated in the toaster), and vegan, which means there is no cholesterol or cruelty. They are a fast choice for breakfast and full and satisfying. The only complaint I have is that it could contain more chocolate chips! It's good the way it is, but I would like it better with more chunks of chocolate. I'm going to try the peanut butter chocolate chunk variety next; I think that one will be very good!

Erin Baker's Chocolate Chunk Breakfast Cookies are all-natural, made with whole grains, and sweetened with fruit puree. Because they are all natural and don't contain preservatives, the shelf life is only a few months, but the cookies can be stored in the freezer for a longer period of time. (Ingredients: Whole grain oats, unbleached wheat flour, prune puree, evaporated cane juice, chocolate chunks, water, brown rice syrup, canola oil, banana puree, inulin, molasses, baking soda, vanilla extract, sea salt, baking powder, cinnamon.)

At 300 calories per cookie, they're a bit high in calories, but considering how much protein (7 grams per serving), fiber (5 grams per serving), and nutrients (iron 20% RDA, vitamin A 6%, vitamin C 2%, and calcium 2%) they provide, I don't think it's so high when putting those things in perspective. They keep me feeling full for hours after eating one, so it's perfect for a quick, delicious breakfast. Great with a cup of non-dairy milk!

Find more information at ErinBakers.com or check them out on Amazon by clicking either of the pictures of the cookies.


No comments: