Friday, April 6, 2018

I MADE IT! John Joseph's "No Death, No Dairy" Lasagna

How Did I Like John Joseph's
"No Death, No Dairy" Vegan Lasagna?

You may have seen my other post where I wrote out the recipe for John Joseph's (of Bloodclot and Cro-Mags) "No Death, No Dairy" Vegan Lasagna since I couldn't find the recipe in the YouTube description or written out anywhere.

I was anxious to make it because I love lasagna but my previous attempts were decent, although not magnificent. If I am going to be standing in the kitchen for over an hour preparing and assembling a dish such as lasagna, I want the effort to be worthwhile with a really tasty dish my whole family can enjoy. I was definitely no expert, and, admittedly, I rarely use recipes, but for this one I wanted to make a great lasagna. This YouTube video has been shared in my Facebook circle of friends and in a bunch of vegan groups of which I'm a member, and it looked really good, (plus I found it damn funny). That's why I decided to use this specific recipe.

It turned out really well. I always get confused as to how many layers of noodles I should use, so seeing John Joseph just basically do one layer at the bottom and one on top made it really easy, then following how he layered his sauce, "meats", "cheeses", and veggies within the lasagna was very helpful for me. The sauce was very flavorful despite not having a couple ingredients. It was also helpful to know I am not supposed to cook the noodles first. I'm never sure if it will turn out right if I don't cook the noodles before assembling my lasagna, but this recipe instructed not to, and it turned out great!

CHANGES I WILL MAKE NEXT TIME

I think the sauce was just about perfect, as I said, so I won't change anything about that!

I do think the lasagna needs to be a little cheesier. Years ago I wouldn't dare attempt to add more vegan cheese, but with all the really good vegan cheeses on the market these days, it's easy to find delicious varieties that will complement this recipe. I will use Follow Your Heart block mozzarella or Miyoko's and cut into cubes and place over the veggies for a layer of cheesy goodness like my mom used to add. I am not sure I will mix the "ricotta" and "meat" together, either. It may be better having them separate, in my opinion.

I really like the zucchini, broccoli, and spinach mix. It's healthy and flavorful. I don't think I will change that next time I make this recipe.

I may sprinkle more shredded cheese (preferably the Daiya cutting board shreds) inside and on top of the lasagna.

The first slice was difficult to get out and turned out very sloppy looking (see photo below), but I always find this to be the case. It was very watery when I first got a piece out, but it thickened up over time. In the next photo you can see there is a bit of liquid pooling in the pan, which got reabsorbed and integrated into the lasagna after it sat in the fridge overnight. Leftovers were amazing! Even my picky husband liked it, which says a lot!

Have you made John Joseph's "No Death, No Dairy" Lasagna? How did it turn out for you? What changes, if any, would you make? Thanks for reading and have a GREAT DAY!


This post was tagged under the following labels: cheese, cro-mags, John Joseph, lasagna recipe, layer, meal, munchies, no dairy, no death no dairy, noodles, original, pasta, pictures, sauce, vegan, vegan cheese, vegan lasagna, vegan lasagna recipe, video, YouTube.

No comments: