Saturday, January 27, 2018

Earth Grown Vegan Meatless Meatballs Reviews from Aldi: Classic and Zesty Italian

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Each pack of Aldi's meatless meatballs cost less than $4, compared to other vegan meatballs which cost usually at least $1 more when they're not on sale. These bags come in a 16 ounce size versus the typical 12 ounces or so of more expensive brands, so you're getting more volume as well.

They are a bit smaller than some brands. Gardein's vegan meatballs are pretty big, so these are about half their size if memory serves me correctly. However, Nate's are pretty small and these are right around that size.

The "zesty" variety reminds me of little meatballs my Grandmom used to get at the authentic Italian grocer when I was little. I used to love them! Of course, my memory might be a bit off since that was over 25 years ago. Compared to other vegan meatball brands I've tried, they remind me of Nate’s as far as flavor and size, and I really like Nate's.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



Aldi's vegan meatballs overall are a bit softer than I expected but not too soft and definitely not mushy at all. I baked mine at 400 degrees F rather than 375 and added an extra minute or two. They crisped way better that way. I haven't tried frying these yet. I find if I cook them directly in sauce they turn out slightly mushy and I prefer a crisper and firmer [plant-based] meatball.

Although both varieties were really good, I definitely prefer the zesty. It has a bit more flavor and I've become almost obsessed with them. They're really good and you should try them! I can't say for sure if they would "fool" a meat eater, but I do think many people, no matter what their diet or lifestyle choice, would enjoy these. I would say these are a great option for any vegan or vegetarian or those who love Meatless Mondays or are trying to decrease their meat consumption.

It's definitely nice to see more vegan items on the market these days, especially from a discount grocer. Aldi has lots of vegan items now, which is exciting! Check out their page: aldi.us/en/grocery-home/aldi-brands/earth-grown.

(Note: I haven't typed out the ingredients yet but may add that soon.)




No comments: