Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Craving Comfort Foods

Yesterday I had some fresh juice from my Fusion Juicer for breakfast. I added half a beet, a pear, an apple, a small piece of fresh ginger root, a large strawberry, and a couple baby carrots.

I know I posted a while back that I was going to try to eat healthier, less processed foods. I have been for the most part, but I don't believe in depriving oneself. Sometimes we all crave unhealthy meals, even vegans!

For brunch I had a very filling vegan French toast meal with a couple strawberries and blueberries. I included a delicious dollop of homemade coconut milk whipped cream and topped my two slices of French toast with some vegan butter and maple syrup and a few sprinkles of extra cinnamon.

It was very easy to make. I mashed a banana in about a cup of almond milk and added a heaping tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal, about a teaspoon of nutritional yeast, about a teaspoon of cinnamon (which helps regulate blood sugar, and I needed help after this meal! LOL), a dash of black salt (kala namak, which is optional but adds a slightly eggy type of flavor), and about a teaspoon of vanilla extract.

I dipped the pieces of bread in this mixture then fried it in a non-stick pan with a little oil (or you can use more vegan butter for that crispy, buttery flavor). Cook on medium-high for about 4 minutes on each side.

For an early light dinner I wanted some macaroni and cheese. While the noodles cooked in a separate pot, I threw some almond milk over a low heat and added a couple teaspoons of nutritional yeast, some garlic, paprika, onion powder, about a cup of Daiya cheddar cheese, and some cayenne pepper. I stirred until everything melted together and then once I drained the pasta I mixed everything together and decided to add some frozen broccoli, since that always goes well with "cheese," too.

I served it with a small tomato sliced medium-thin and it was delicious. I had enough to bring some to lunch today and enjoy it all over again. : )


No comments: