Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Vbar Sunflower & Cranberry Review

In my latest Vegan Cuts Snack Box I received a Vbar amongst the goodies. I brought it to work to try today. It looks pretty plain and similar in appearance to most other vegan energy or nutrition bars. It's a bland beige-like color with some specks of cranberry visible. How would it taste?

I admit wasn't too excited about it, but boy was I wrong! It tastes phenomenal! I was expecting a blah texture and plain bar, but this one has a nice substance to it and is slightly chewy without being overly sticky or having weirdly soft texture as some other bars I've tried. It has just the right balance of sweet and wholesome. The flavor was a mild sweet vanilla nutty kind of taste with a slight cranberry essence. I thought it was perfect! There are several varieties available and I am anxious to try them all!

I searched online for a website and cannot find one anywhere, but they are available for sale at different vegan retailers, such as Vegan Cuts. I am a little tight on cash this month but next month I plan on buying the variety pack, which has my mouth watering!

The bars come in a biodegradable plastic wrapper (and the variety pack comes in a biodegradable paper/cardboard box). The bars are gluten free, soy free, vegan, non-GMO and all natural. Ingredients: Brown rice cereal, sunflower seed nut butter, white sorghum syrup, coconut flakes, dried cranberries, vanilla extract, sea salt, coconut oil. No palm oil or preservatives!

Nutritionally, one bar (1.5 ounces) contains 210 total calories (120 from fat). Since it's vegan, of course there is no cholesterol in this product, a very small amount of sodium, and total fat of 13 grams (only 6 of which is saturated fats, probably from the coconut ingredients and the remaining fat is the good kind: monounsaturated and polyunsaturated types). It provides 4 grams of protein per serving, 3 grams of fiber, as well as phosphurus, calcium, magnesium, iron, and other vitamins and minerals our bodies need.

Sorry for the horrible quality pictures, but here are a couple shots from my lunch at work this afternoon:

This delicious product is distributed by Benefit Foods, which is a California company (big surprise there!). Other varieties include: Almond/Fig/Carob, Almond/Cherry, Almond/Blueberry, Sunflower/Ginger, Sunflower/Cashew. The slogan on the front is "Unwrap Goodness!" YES, I agree and want more!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Benefit Foods vegan, gluten free VBAR can be found online at www.benefitfoods.com. There is also a list of California based retailer that carry VBAR.